Brian L. Zimbler advises on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and corporate and financial matters. He has more than 25 years’ experience with international transactions, having practiced in London and Moscow, and is dual qualified as both a US attorney and a solicitor in England and Wales. Brian represents clients in a wide range of industries including technology, media and entertainment, energy, and life sciences.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Brian was a partner in the corporate practice of another international law
firm. He is fluent in French and Russian and conversant in Portuguese.
- Representing a leading Russian online advertising firm in obtaining equity financing from an investment
- Acting for a private seller of shares in Russia’s largest social network.
- Advising a US financial institution on the sale of its Russian bank in an auction process.
- Advising on the acquisition of a substantial stake in an independent oil and gas company listed on the
London Stock Exchange.
- Advising an international television network on arrangements to cover the XXII Olympic Winter Games
- Advising a public company on acquisitions of high-profile commercial property in Moscow.
- Advising a Swiss-listed investment fund on the sale of a majority stake in two prominent commercial
properties in Moscow.
- Advising a global satellite company on the establishment of new broadband and Ka-band
telecommunications services in Russia, and the sale of a Russian subsidiary providing fixed satellite
- Advising a consortium of investors on the $625 million purchase of a 26% stake in OJSC Enel OGK-5, a
leading Russian power producer.
- Advising one of the world’s largest companies on a joint venture with Inter RAO and Russian
Technologies to manufacture gas turbines in Russia.
- Advising one of the world’s largest companies on a joint venture with Russian Technologies to manufacture sophisticated healthcare equipment in Russia.
- Acting for a leading Japanese manufacturer of construction and mining equipment in establishing a greenfield production facility in Tver, Russia, and obtaining related financing.
- Advising one of France’s largest companies on a strategic joint venture with Transmashholding, Russia’s largest producer of locomotives and rail cars, and JSC Russian Railways, the national railway company.
- Advising the world’s largest canmaker on its acquisition of two Russian companies that manufacture aluminum cans.
- Advising private equity funds on their investment in a leading Russian online shopping club.
- Advising one of China’s leading companies on its acquisition of a 50% stake in JSC Mangistaumunaigas, a major oil producer in Kazakhstan, through a joint venture with KazMunaiGas. Advising one of China’s leading companies on its $4 billion acquisition of PetroKazakhstan, a Canadian-listed company and prominent oil and gas producer in Kazakhstan.
- Acting for a leading international automotive parts supplier in establishing a manufacturing joint venture Russia with steel major Severstal.
- Advising a number of international media companies on various issues relating to the distribution of films, television programs and related merchandise in Russia, including antipiracy and regulatory matters.
- Advising one of the world’s leading software companies on a trademark infringement dispute with Russian software vendors, resulting in termination of the infringement.
- Advising international pharmaceutical companies on their business in Russia, including commercial and regulatory matters.
AWARDS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Member, Law Firm of the Year, Energy/Projects: Power (including Renewables), Chambers USA (2018)
- Member, Practice Group of the Year, Energy, Law360 (2016)
- Member, Energy Law Firm of the Year, US News & World Report/Best Lawyers (2015)
- Notable Practitioner, IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate (2019)
- Ranked, Corporate/M&A, Russia, Chambers Global (2018)
- Ranked, Corporate/M&A (Foreign Expertise), Russia, Chambers Global (2018)
- Ranked, Corporate/M&A (Expertise Based Abroad), USA, Chambers Global (2018)
- Highly Regarded, IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide (2018, 2019)
- Recommended, The Legal 500 EMEA (2017)
- Ranked, Corporate/M&A: Lawyers Based Abroad, Russia, Chambers Europe (2019)
- Ranked, Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability, Russia, Chambers Europe (2018)
- Band 1, Corporate/M&A (Russia), Chambers Europe/Global (2014–2017)
- Band 1, Private Equity (Russia), Chambers Europe (2015)
- Recommended, Leading Individual, Corporate and M&A (Russia), The Legal 500 (2012–2014)
- Client Choice Award: “Russia M&A Lawyer of the Year”, International Law Office (2010)
- Former President, Moscow International Lawyers Group (1996–1998)
- Editor-in-Chief, Harvard International Law Journal (1983–1984)
- District Of Columbia (U.S.)
- California (U.S.)
- England & Wales (Solicitor)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Harvard Law School, 1986, J.D., Cum Laude
- Harvard University, 1980, A.B., Magna Cum Laude
- Tufts University, 1986, M.A.L.D.
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Investment Management
- Project Finance, Infrastructure & Natural Resources
- Intellectual Property
- Privacy & Cybersecurity
- Asia Pacific
- North America